Friday, August 19, 2011

Movies, Movies, Movies

I haven't put anything here in a long, long, long time. That doesn't mean I haven't written. I have, it was just saved elsewhere...here is a piece I wrote sometime during the past year...


I am not a movie buff, don't care for the Hollywood scene, almost never go to the theatre, could careless who wins an Academy Award (although I do like to see the clothes on Oscar night). My last trip to a theatre was to take my grandchildren to see Despicable Me. It turned out to be a cute movie.

When I was growing up kids went to the movies on Saturday afternoon for the double feature. Sometimes my family would go to the drive-in on Friday or Saturday night. During that time I was "into" science fiction movies and comedies. About the only one I remember is The Blob. It was pretty scary when the blob came out of the projection room into the theatre.

In middle and high school I still went to the movies, the time just moved to Friday and Saturday night and often to the drive-in theaters. And I'm sure there was more talking and kissing than actually watching the movies.

For some reason on a recent morning walk I found myself thinking about movies. I made a mental list of all time favorites...these are not in a Top 10 order, just movies that spoke to me, made me laugh, made me cry or the music got into my head and stayed for days. These are movies I can watch over and over and over again.

A couple of movies stand out in my mind because of the cast. I think whoever cast George Clooney and Tim Blake Nelson in O' Brother Where Are Thou? is an absolute genius! They are fantastic in their rolls. I also love the music in that movie. This is one movie that I purchased first in VHS format, then on DVD, the CD of the music and a CD of a concert that was a follow-up to the movie.

Another movie that I love because the cast is great is The Birdcage. Of course Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are fantastic, but in my opinion Hank Azaria stole the show and should have gotten an Academy Award. That movie makes me laugh every time I watch it. That dinner scene is hysterical.

Dan in Real Life is a recent favorite of mine. The music is simple and wonderful. The best part of this movie is the dialogue between Dan and Marie that takes place without words. Steve Carrell and Juliette Binoche convey so much through their eyes and body language.

My two favorite "chick flicks" would have to be The Bridges of Madison County and An Officer and a Gentleman. When Richard Gere walks into that factory and carries Debra Winger out the door and the passionate weekend between Merle Streep and Clint Eastwood...hand me the tissues!

My grandchildren have introduced me to a great movie...Wall-e. It, too, has music that sticks in my head and wonderful dialogue between Wall-e and Eve that take place through their eyes and body language...and these two characters are robots. I know there's another whole level to the movie about ruining our environment but I like the romantic part better.

My list of black and white favorites would include: To Kill a Mockingbird, Arsenic and Old Lace, and Psycho. Who wouldn't want Atticus Finch to be their dad or at least to grow up on that street and play with Scout and Jem? And the two, little old ladies who poison their house guests how funny was that? Psycho has to be one of the scariest movies of all time, I often think of that shower scene when I am in a hotel room alone.

How to Murder Your Wife...I have no idea why but this movie has always been one of my favorites. Yes, it has catchy music and yes, it has romance and again there is dialogue without many words because Jack Lemmon and Virna Lisi don't speak the same language.

Another movie from the '60s on my list would have to be High Time. It has Bing Crosby as a 50 something year old man going back to finish his college degree. He joins a fraternity, studies, falls in love with his French professor and doesn't let his snobby, rude children spoil his plans.

I don't usually like movies with "X-rated" language but I have to admit the language added a lot to Ladykillers. I went to the movie because it had Tom Hanks in it and he was one of my favorite actors, (his recent political activity has caused me to rethink my feelings about him). However, he was not so good in this movie. What Tom lacked the others made up for...this is one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen. I actually went to the theatre twice to see it and then bought the DVD.

The list can't end without Legally Blonde and French Kiss. Reese Witherspoon and Meg Ryan are "way high" on my list of great actresses. I like Legally Blonde because she tells that jerk boyfriend where to get off in the end. I applaud the author for not have Elle take him back! And French Kiss is great because Kevin Kline is such a funny, believable French man...and because of the romance.

I'm sure I'll think up more...but hand me the popcorn I think it's time to push the "play" button.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home